Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Black Keys...

I love live music. Nothing is better than being able to see, hear, smell and feel the music, especially when your whole body vibrates with the rhythm. I like that you can move and dance with no fear of looking like too much of an idiot because there is almost always someone else there dancing, swaying, breaking it down, in a much more idiotic fashion. It's liberating in a way, and so much more satisfying than dancing alone in a bedroom.

The weekend started out with a trip into the city to check out the Whitney Museum of American Art. It was a balmy 45 degrees or so and sunny, which made for lovely-walking-around-the-Upper-East-Side weather. The museum is small, but full of some very interesting pieces. My favorites included latex paint spilled on the floor (I really wanted to touch it), three video pieces (the room was dark and cool, and the only noise was the whirring of the film projectors, it was like a dream), and the exhibit of Alexander Calder's wire sculptures (his circus was so whimsical, so of course I loved it).


Today I continued my whimsy kick with the movie "Coraline"--it was beautiful, although the storyline itself wasn't developed too much. But it was worth it to see the animation. And then The Black Keys. I hadn't been to a concert since seeing Eddie Vedder in Chicago back in August. It was the prefect show--not too crowded but not dead, smallish venue and a great set list with a good mix out of their discography. The lovely RMB and I got there fairly early, bought some overpriced beer, and staked out our spot along the rail of the first raised level. We had a great view above the sea of plaid shirts (when did plaid become hipster? did I miss something?) and knit caps--overall, a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

I'm just trying not to think about the fact that the lovely RMB is leaving me and returning to Ohio...

Next up...Chicago!!!

...Weekend Anna

No comments: