Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Easily Distracted...

I keep sitting down to write a post and then something else grabs my attention. Last night it was a combination of realizing that Ida Maria is opening for Glasvegas at the end of the month at Webster Hall and the release of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs newest album, "It's Blitz!" on iTunes at midnight. I've had a love for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs since I stumbled across a recording of "Art Star" online the summer before my sophomore year of high school, smack in the middle of my I-love-the-Beatles- and-everything-about-the-1960s-and-maybe-I-will-dress-in-hippie-clothes-and-not-wash-my- hair phase. I fell head over heels for Karen O--her crazy outfits, her onstage writhing, and her howling scream punctuated with flirtatiously coy lines ("I've got a dealer in Tokyo/ I've got a rep in Paris/ I've got an agent in Cologne/ Shit, I've got a gallery in New York!). I was hooked and the rest is simple: "Fever to Tell" was next followed by a trip up to Cleveland to see that writhing in person. Then relatively unknown TV on the Radio (Colbert bump!) opened on the waist-high stage in the tiny ballroom. I was right in the front, close enough to feel the sweat from Karen O.'s hair whipping around when she danced and the champagne she squirted out of her mouth like a fountain. It was glorious.

"Gold Lion" from "Show Your Bones" pops up on my playlist at least half a dozen times a week and I've listened to their latest album in full three times since I downloaded it less than 24 hours ago (not including the dozen times I've listened to "Zero" and "Hysteric", my two current favorites). "It's Blitz!" is different from the others, less raw and disjointed. I love it though and right now time will tell if it enters my list of favorite albums.

The last two weekends have been amazing...but the Yeah Yeah Yeahs have kept me from writing about those weekends for at least another 24 hours...

...YYY Anna

No comments: